Monday, April 7, 2014

Who knew it was this hard to surprise someone...

I would like to start out by saying that I take pride in the fact that I am a great gift giver. Not to toot my own horn, but *toot toot*. With that said, My boyfriend is the hardest person to get a gift for. For Christmas, we agreed that we were just going to do stocking stuffers. We had just started dating, money was tight, it seemed appropriate. So I do the typical stocking stuffers. Goldfish, Carmex, body lotion, and other things and stuff. You know, little nick nacks, Stocking stuffers. Christmas morning comes along, and he gives me my gifts. Lo and behold, he got me a Pandora bracelet that had a charm on it that he got me and a charm that his parents got me. He also got me a beautiful pair of earrings. When i say beautiful, I mean they are absolutely gorgeous. I loved everything - but then there i am, giving him a bag of fucking goldfish. Dropped the ball on THAT holiday, that is for sure. I told him that I would make up for it on his birthday, and I would PROVE that I am indeed a great gift giver.

Birthdays are my FAVORITE. I love knowing that I made someones day special. My family has always been big on Birthdays. So when other people aren't as enthused about their birthday as I am, I am even more determined to make it an amazing day for them.

Clay's birthday is now less than a month away. When I originally brought it up, it wasn't something that was a big deal for him like it is for me. About a month ago, I told him that he is not allowed to get anything for himself until his birthday. When he wants something, he is impatient and just can't wait, so he gets it. Its just the type of person he is. I know this, and I love him for it, BUT this is why i had to specifically tell him NOT to get himself anything - TWO months in advance. Well, about a week after i told him that, he ruined Birthday surprise number one.

Brithday Surprise #1 - A Go Pro. He has been really into doing his videos and a go pro is something he really wanted to add to his collection of toys. It is perfect for the shoots he does. I was so excited, and proud of myself for thinking of something he would really like, and get great use out of. Ready to redeem myself from my goldfish fiasco. So, ONE WEEK after I tell him not to buy anything for himself, we are sitting at the bar and he turns to me and says "I am getting a Go Pro tonight. Lets hurry so we can get to Best Buy before they close." Please tell me this is a joke.
We went to Best Buy that night 30 minutes before they closed, and he purchased his damn Go Pro.

After this I had to come up with something new, which isn't necessarily hard when it comes to him. He wants and needs so many things, it's pretty easy to come up with a new idea. So one night, it hits me like a ton of bricks...

Birthday Surprise #2 - A KAYAK. DUH. He talks about going kayaking ALL the time. How he can't wait for summer, and how we are going to go kayaking all the time and how much fun he had last summer. I was pretty proud of myself on this one. I talked to all his friends to figure out which one he would want. Had plans to go with one of his friends to look/purchase his brand new kayak. Needless to say, I. WAS. PUMPED. I even found one of those HUGE red bows that people normally put on new cars. (I have always wanted a reason to use one of those things, and this was the PERFECT time.) So, last Saturday, what does Clay suggest? You got it. "Hey babe, lets go look at Kayaks this weekend! I want to get a pair so that we can really have a great summer and go whenever we want."
Really? I mean come on. You have got to be kidding me. This can not be real life.
Oh but it was. We went to REI, and I knew there was nothing i could do to stop him at that point. I know he was doing it with the best of intentions. BUT STILL - Birthday Surprise number 2, squashed.

After a ton of racking my brain of what ideas I had left, and a little help from his friends, I now have the PERFECT idea. Lets hope I can successfully pull this one off.
Seriously, if he buys this for himself, I will cry. No doubt. Cry or scream.

Stay tuned for Birthday Surprise #3 - Coming April 22nd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment